Writers Focus Interview: Eunice Eberechukwu Njeze

Francisca Okwulehie chats with Teen Fiction Writer, Eunice Eberechukwu Njeze as she speaks about her journey to writing and what literary success means to her.
MGC- PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF: SCHOOL AND COURSE OF STUDY, HOBBIES, HOW YOU BEGAN WRITING, THE JOURNEY SO FAR, ETC.

 EN- My name is Eunice Eberechukwu Njeze. I am 15 years old. I am the only child of my parents as of now. I am quite and shy at times I can prefer to be alone. Perhaps, that could be because I grew up alone without other siblings either elder or younger, that may have affected my social life in a way, but I am having a good balance in my social life as a teenager in my school and with my peers. I don't like cheating, I don't like to be bullied or shouted on. My parents especially my father who is a disciplinarian never gives me space to be spoilt or had never treated me as the only child. I like sports, especially racing, I like singing, beside my love and passion for writing books, I love drawing. I also love dancing. I don't like cooking but that should not get to my mom's ear, if not, she will remind me about me being a woman again. 


MGC- WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO WRITE? 

EN- What really inspires me can be attributed to the environment in my school and some movies I have watched. 

MGC- DO YOU HAVE A CURRENT WORK? 

EN- Yes I do, it is due to be out before the year ends. 

MGC- HAVE YOU EVER ENCOUNTERED PLAGARISM IN THE INDUSTRY?

EN- I have not. 

MGC- WHAT'S THE MOST DIFFICULT CHALLENGE YOU FACE AS A WRITER? AND HOW HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO OVERCOME THEM? 

 EN- Actually, it has not been easy. I think the most challenging periods of being a writer has been combining my writing with my school work together, especially my first book that is coming out to the public space. It was mostly done during the period of my JAMB, WAEC and NECO preparations. MGC- DO YOU SHARE YOUR WORK BEFORE THE PUBLICATION?
EN- No I don't. 

MGC- WHAT IS THE MOST UNETHICAL PRACTICE/ UNSAVORY ENCOUNTER YOU'VE HAD IN THE LITERARY INDUSTRY? 

EN- I have not had any encounter yet. This is my first book outing.

MGC- WHAT OTHER AUTHORS DO YOU HAVE AS FRIENDS/ MENTORS, AND HOW DID THEY HELP YOU BECOME A BETTER WRITER? 

EN- Chimamanda Adiche happens to be my role model though I've not met her in person (I'm looking forward to that soon) but through novels, I was really challenged to write. I learn a lot from her commitment and dedication to writing and I believe that someday, I'll be like her or even better than her.

MGC- HOW DID PUBLISHING YOUR FIRST BOOK CHANGE YOUR PROCESS OF WRITING? EN- This is my first book, though, through this, I have gotten more knowledge on how to come out with my second outing with ease through the help of my publisher. 


MGC- DO YOU PREFER TO SElF PUBLISH OR PUBLISH UNDER A FIRM? 

EN- I think I prefer to self publish. It gives me the ability to control my writing and earnings. Though I hope to be signed to a traditional publishing company later on.
MGC- HOW DO YOU MANAGE ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS SUCH AS NOISE, UNSTABLE ELECTRICITY ETC? 

EN- Environment to me is a lesser determinant, focus is the issue. I remain resilient to achieve my writing goals. In the aspect of electricity, whenever there's power outage, I resort to using the generator.

MGC- WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO MARKET YOUR BOOKS? 

EN- I love my books to be available online on platforms like Okada books, Amazon and the likes. I think physical sales in bookshops and among individuals, friends and family is fine. 

 MGC- WHAT KIND OF RESEARCH DO YOU DO, AND HOW LONG DO YOU SPEND RESEARCHING BEFORE BEGINNING A BOOK? 

EN- Most of my research are from my parents and Google. I consult Google for some words, meanings and places my parents have no idea of. 

 MGC- DO YOU GOOGLE YOURSELF/ READ YOUR BOOK REVIEWS? HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BAD OR GOOD ONES? 

EN- I google myself. My parents also help me to go through my works. They make corrections to my work sometimes. 


 MGC- ARE YOU A FULL-TIME WRITER? IF YES, DOES YOUR FAMILY SUPPORT YOUR CAREER AS A WRITER?

 EN- No, I'm not a full-time Writer. I am still a student as of now. Writing is a hobby I hope to make a career of in the future.

 MGC- HOW LONG AN AVERAGE DOES IT TAKE YOU TO WRITE A BOOK?

 EN- It takes me about two to four months depending on my concentration and the story.

MGC- WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR WRITING? 

EN- My environment, peer challenges, especially among teenagers made me author my first book 'Valeria's Best'. Secondly, writing is a gift in me because I love to write. When I write, I derive pleasure. Chimamanda Adiche, motivates me to write.
MGC- WHAT DOES LITERARY SUCCESS LOOK LIKE TO YOU?

EN- Literay success generally is every person's desire and goal . I have seen so many literary authors who are well known and successful. Literary success for me is writing a book my readers love. 

MGC- WHAT WORD OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE AN ASPIRING OR UPCOMING WRITER?
 
EN- My advice to upcoming writers is to remain focused and have passion for anything you do. Be consistent! Do not count gains first but consider the receipients and reader's interest. 

MGC- OVER 10, SCORE YOUR FASHION SENSE. DOES IT AFFECT YOU AS A WRITER? EN- 8/10 . No, it doesn't affect me as a writer. 

MGC: PLEASE DROP YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLE FOR YOUR READERS. 

EN- I have an author page on Facebook. Facebook: Eunice Eberechukwu Njeze Author 

MGC- Thanks for your attention 

EN- You are welcome.

Comments

  1. Very very interesting interview. I am looking forward to seeing the outing of this interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MONOCOUERGLOBALCONCEPT is the best online Publisher. I am happy to have had you do work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful interview , keep the fire burning Eunice, may God perfect your work .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful interview , keep the fire burning Eunice, may God perfect your work .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts