Ifunanya Adannya Anih on Focus #writersfocus

 Today on Writers Focus, Ifunanya Adannya Anih in a chat with Maria-Goretti Christian speaks about her writing and hopes for aspiring writers.



 MG: Please tell us about yourself: school and course of study, hobbies, how you began writing, the journey so far, etc. 
IA: I graduated from the department of English and Literary studies, University of Nigeria Nsukka. My dad hoped I’d study law (he still wants me to). We all know that law is a competitive course. Hence, when I saw that the dream was beginning to take longer to attain, I hopped unto the next available train – English. The plan was to switch courses right after my first year. But something struck me and I stayed. I never regretted it for one day. 

MG: Do you have any current work? What inspired it? 
IA: I teach preschool pupils at Greensprings School, Lekki Campus, Awoyaya. I have always had a thing for teaching. Finding out how much education has evolved since my own times has been a huge inspiration. I’m working towards meeting up with the new age approach to teaching and learning and that in itself is enough inspiration.  

MG: Do you share your work before publication? Have you ever encountered plagiarism in the industry?
 IA: I have a couple of friends with whom I exchange my work. They are people that I trust to put in their honest opinions in the most respectful way. I can’t say I have experienced any form of plagiarism. I do not share work that I want published online (if that’s what you mean).

 MG: What's the most difficult challenge you face as a writer? And how have you been able to overcome them? 
IA: I have problems creating time in this Lagos life! Hahaha… I work in very challenging conditions and in a very challenging environment. It is hard to shuttle between all the craziness involved in caring for children and finding the right time to quiet my mind so I can get something meaningful done on paper. Sometimes, it's almost a battle. But I try to work through it.  

MG: What is the most unethical practice/unsavory encounter you've had in the literary industry?
 IA: I can’t say I have encountered any practices I’d term “unsavory.” The only thing I find wrong with the Nigerian Literary industry for now (because you never know what could happen) is the complete loss of originality. Where the term writer encourages certain expectations from people. You ought to dress a certain way, speak a certain way, dear your hair a certain way, even write a certain way. And if you don’t mat up with these it’s almost like they’re saying “you can’t sit with us!” It was distasteful to me initially. But I realized my writing was much more to me than the need for acceptance. 


 MG: Did you ever consider writing under a pseudonym?
IA: Yes. I used to be scared of writing about certain things the way they came to me. In fact, it stalled my abilities for a very long time. Because, you see, I have a conservative background. So, I’d censure even my words before I said it, so I didn’t come off unruly and dirty. In those years, I really thought about a name I could use to protect myself and not “bring my family shame.” But with age, I decided it was really uncalled for. Family had to learn to accept me for who I am.  

MG: What other authors do you have as friends/mentors, and how do they help you become a better writer?
IA: Akpa  Arinzechukwu would be at the top of this list. He’d been really instrumental in many of the things I have written. And he inspires me in the way he writes, the effort he puts into research and his style. As a mentor, I long chose Alice Walker (she just doesn’t know yet that I hold private meetings with her every once in a while). 

MG: How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?
IA: I’d answer this when my book is out.  

MG: Do you prefer to self-publish or publish under a firm?
IA: I think the thing about being published under a firm is that it gives you that feeling that other people actually believe in your dream. It’s validating. If it wasn’t about that, I don’t think many of us would be out there getting depressed over magazine rejections. We might as well start our own. And then, theres the issue of finance, too. Many of us aren’t that rich yet (we will be). Be as it may, I think I want that validation too as well as the assistance.  

MG: How do you manage environmental factors such as noise, unstable electricity etc?
 IA: I manage noise by plugging in my earpiece. Unstable electricity? Well, I haven’t found a way to manage it. If you do, please, help a sister. 

MG: What’s the best way to market your books?
IA: We live in a culture that hardly encourages readership. So, it's hard. My write-up get the most publicity on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. People don’t even want you sending them WhatsApp broadcasts. And until I successfully complete a book, I’m not sure how I’m going to market one.  

MG: What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
IA: I do a lot of interviews. I like to draw inspiration from people’s stories. So, I tend to listen a lot to people. I also gather newspapers where necessary. It depends on what I'm writing about. I’ve never had to try to wear anyone’s shoes though. As for time? As spend just about enough to be sure I have what I need. If that’s six months or even a year, I am patient enough so long as I’m satisfied.  

MG: Do you Google yourself/read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
IA: Yes I do. There isn’t much there yet. I’m working towards that. I wake up one morning though and found that someone had written a critical paper on  two of my poems. It was the best feeling in the world, honestly. It made me want to do more.  

MG: Are you a full-time writer? If yes, does your family support your career as a writer?
IA: No, I’m not a full-time writer.  


 MG: We know you have a penchant for photography and feminism.
 IA: My photography is still largely a part of me, except that I'm only making mental pictures at the moment because a busy teacher hardly remembers to carry her camera these days.  Feminism has become a way of life for me. So, I can hardly separate it from myself. But I can say that 90% of the stories I hear and retell are spun from that place that believes should be better with women, for women and by extension for everyone.  


MG: How long on average does it take you to write a book?
IA: Again, I’ll answer this when my book is successfully completed and published.  

MG: Do you believe in writer’s block? How do you think it can be dealt with?
 IA: Writer’s block is so real. It is a terrible thing for someone who ca t go a day without writing. You loathe yourself the entire time. But I try to create stimulating experiences to help me get into that place where the muse feels at home.

 MG: What is your motivation for writing? 
IA: It is the only way I know to express myself.  A lot of times, I have stuff running through my head. And I’m mostly shy (I'm  not lying) and quiet. Also, it is a  form of activism for me. So, I write because I have to.   

MG: What does literary success look like to you?
IA: A huge readership. Critical acclamation. Money and more money.  


MG: What word of advice would you give an aspiring or upcoming writer?
AI: Well, I want to think I’m upcoming myself. Hahaha…  So, I’m going to say: let’s keep pushing. Keep editing. Keep submitting. Don’t let the rejection letters discourage you. Someday, all your hard work will find a home and you will be celebrated. 

 MG:Over 10 score your fashion sense. Does it affect you as a writer? 
IA: Not at all. I think I’d give myself a 6 even when I'm sure that people who know me would say it’s a lie.

Comments

Popular Posts