Writers Focus Interview: Peter Ngila Njeri


On Writers Focus today, Francisca Okwulehie chats with Kenyan Writer and recepient of the 2017, Iceland Writers Retreat Alumni Award; Peter Ngila Njeri.
In this honest conversation, they talk about writing, writing mentors and what the industry can do for Writers.


FO: Tell us about yourself (Name, schools attended, family etc.).

PN: I’m not very bright when it comes to speaking about myself. My name is Peter Ngila Njeri. I was born in Machakos County, Kenya. I live in the capital, Nairobi. The elder brother of the father of my mother was called Peter Ngila. Njeri, my not-married mother, passed when I was around nine years old. I grew up under my grandmother, my aunties and uncles and elder cousins. I happen to be an only child. I believe my family doesn’t have to be biological. The world should push the boundaries of identity and belonging to embrace each other as family. I went to Kabaa Primary School, Ekalakala Secondary School and Mount Kenya University, where I did journalism. 

FO: How did you get into writing? 

PN: That’s a looong story, as in that part in a typical Naija movie where ‘loong story’ denotes a lengthy flashback! I could say growing up under my grandmother was some sort of initiation into writing and stories. Grandmother could narrate to me and my cousins those mucha interesante stories of the hare and the hyena and of my country’s fight for independence. I was a very introverted child, and most of the time I was happier to live in my mind with the people I read in storybooks like The Adventures of Thiga, Kisalu and His Fruit Garden, Mlilwa na Ndege wa Ajabu. My school English compositions were better, thanks to reading storybooks and novels. I could read everything I found, especially books from my uncle’s shelf at the village.


After high school I wrote a few things longhand under candle light, and I guess that was the genesis of insomnia. Thanks to John, a friend at the market, I slowly learnt how to type with a computer, which was so slow at first. I came to Nairobi, learnt some computer basics like MS Word and kept writing. I landed an academic writing job, where my writing speed improved. I guess from the beginning I had some fire in me I didn’t really know. Everything ended up working for good. Like I had been very close to joining Teaching School, but I ended up doing journalism – because I was curious to see how it would complement with my dear fiction writing.  I somehow kept going, writing longhand and borrowing Paul’s laptop to type and spending the night at my cousin’s typing. By early 2016, I had saved enough money to buy my own laptop. Then my eagerness to become a better writer landed me in writing workshops. Thanks to my blind ambitions, I began submitting my writing to journals and magazines. According to the Universe, the rest is history!

FO: Who are your favourite authors? 

PN: I think I haven’t read enough to have favourites. I try reading from around the world as much as possible, with a special focus on translations. 

FO: Do you have published works? (Where can they be found?)

PN: This year (2020) I co-published a book with my writing partner, Isabell Kempf.


It’s called Changing the World While Changing Diapers. Copies are currently available with me! I have also published short stories online and in print in several countries across the world. Some of them include, Jalada Africa (based here in Kenya), Brittle Paper (Nigeria), Canada (Italy), Prachya Review (Bangladesh), Chinese Bleeding on a Friday (United States), South Sudanese Colours (Ghana).     

FO: What is the most fascinating thing you have done with your writing? 

PN: I would like to paraphrase the question to, “What is the most fascinating thing your writing has done for you?” Writing has helped me to start discovering myself. It’s only through writing, around three years ago, I was able to start embracing my identity as an orphan. I used to be so offended when someone called me an orphan. I would lie that I have loving brothers and sisters and parents. I simply wanted to be thought of as ‘normal.’ After writing for a few years, a Nigerian friend of mine called Esomnofu Ebelenna told me he could see a pattern in all my published stories. Excited, I went through them and realised that all of the stories either had an orphaned protagonist or an only child.


Writing has made me realise I can’t run away from myself. In Nigeria TJ Benson introduced me to Lidia Yuknavitch, who has an incredible Ted Talk called The Beauty of Being a Misfit. Then when I went to the Iceland Writers Retreat, I took up a workshop with Nadifa Mohamed – which was about writing autobiographical books. These days I unapologetically write stories based on my life, because I feel it’s a necessary story. 
Writing has also taken me into a plane to the world. I have visited Nigeria – sha serve me my pounded yam with eforiro soup (!) – (for the Ebedi International Writers Residency) and Iceland (for the Iceland Writers Retreat). I have also visited Tanzania and Uganda, and I’m keen on some more wandering. 

FO: Do you have writing mentors? 

PN: A mentor to me doesn’t have to be necessarily an older person full of wisdom. I consider everyone, even my mates, who help edit my stories, my mentors as well. I have also taken part in several writing workshops with fantastic mentors. 


FO: Is there anything you think the writing industry can do to get better?
PN: I tend to view things from a singularity perspective first. I think it’s important for writers to keep writing. And when you, as an individual you keep writing and reading, you get better in your craft and help other writers get somewhere. This can be industrialised through an individual writer editing other writers’ writings and pushing each other. I mean we should help each other more to get stories out there.

I think younger or aspiring writers should be taken a bit more serious. I would love to see schools (all levels) with writers clubs. I think parents and guardians shouldn’t be left behind as well. Once they discover their child can write, they should encourage and support them. I’m not sure whether I made enough sense to you. 

FO: What’s your fashion sense on a scale of 1-10?

PN: Fashion to me is the kind of person you’re from the inside, the material you’re made of. I tend to take my writing seriously than I take myself.


FO: Do you have a specific time for writing? 

PN: Not really. After years of writing, I’ve learnt to do my writing in a marathon way, but consistently. While working on a longer project, I try writing every day until I achieve my targeted word count (for the day). Then I take a bath and go for a long walk, sleep, wake up and keep writing. The idea is not to finish off my energy in just a day.  

FO: What genre of books do you read? 

PN: The Universe believes writers read. I love all genres of fiction, as long as it’s captivating story. Fiction to me is innovative. I especially adore novels based on the writer’s life, that way it feels closer home and more authentic. I love historical fiction because history is everything. Crime or thriller or mystery fiction is a really popular genre. 


FO: If you were to go on a date with a writer, who would that be?

PN: Many! I’m spoiling this ultimate date with indecision. 

FO: Do you think writers should depend on the profits of their writing alone? (What’s your opinion of having a side hustle?)

PN: It’s hard to survive on writing alone. I know this is unfair, but at times the ‘side hustle’ becomes the regular job, with the writing regulated to spare times like the weekends or evenings or very dark nights. As long as the writing is oh very importante, another hustle opens you up to the world. You meet new people and go to places – all which can be explored in fiction writing. If you’re lucky enough to land a writing residency or scholarship, you should be very happy! 

FO: If you were to go on a vacation, what will be the five things you take along as a writer?

PN: A shelf of books, my laptop, a pen, a notebook, coffee.

FO: Drop your social media handles so your readers can get in touch with you. 

PN: Twitter: @peterngilanjeri (www.twitter.com/peterngilanjeri) 
Facebook: Peter Ngila Njeri (www.facebook.com/peterngila)

Thanks for your time.

Comments

Popular Posts