20 Idioms you should know and their meanings.


An Idiom is an expression that has a different meaning from its literal meaning. Idioms are known to spice up language and conversations.
They help to convey messages without having to totally explain indepth what they actually mean.


Here are twenty (20) idiomatic expressions with their meanings.
We hope that you would learn to infuse them in your speech and discussions.

1. A hot potato
Meaning: Something that is difficult or dangerous to deal with.

Example: Terrorism is a threat to all societies.

2. A penny for your thoughts
Meaning: Way of asking what someone is thinking.

Example: After several minutes of silence he finally looked at her and said, “A penny for your
thoughts, Lily.”

3. Actions speak louder than words
Meaning: What you do is more significant than what you say.

Example: He: I’m sorry. I’ll try to be a better person henceforth.
She: Actions speak louder than words.

4. Add insult to injury
Meaning: To make a bad situation worse.

Example: Their basement was flooded, and then, to add insult to injury, a pipe burst in the kitchen.

5. An arm and a leg
Meaning: A lot of money.

Example: It’s the best cruise in the world, but it will cost you an arm and a leg.

6. At the drop of a hat
Meaning: Immediately; without any hesitation.

Example: Ellie was always ready to lend a helping hand.

7. Back to the drawing board
Meaning: Start something all over again.

Example: I failed this semester, but now I am back to the drawing board.

8. Ball is in your court.
Meaning: It is up to you to take the next step.

Example: I’ve made my decision, now the ball is in your court.

9. Barking up the wrong tree
Meaning: Looking in the wrong place; accusing the wrong person.

Example: He did not commit the crime, you’re barking up the wrong tree.

10. Be glad to see the back of
Meaning: Be glad to see someone leave.

Example: I never liked her. I’ll be glad to see the back of her.

11. Beat around the bush
Meaning: Avoid answering a question; not speaking directly about the issue.

Example: Tell me what the problem is, stop beating around the bush.

12. Best of both the worlds
Meaning: Situation wherein one can enjoy two different opportunities.

Example: She had the privilege of a professor and freedom of a student. She had the best of both worlds.

13. Far cry from
Meaning: A thing that is very different from something else.

Example: What you did was a far cry from what you said you were going to do.

14. Feel a bit under the weather
Meaning: Feeling sick or unhealthy.

Example: I’m not coming to office today, I’m feeling a bit under the weather.

15. Give the benefit of doubt
Meaning: Believe someone’s statement without proof.

Example: I knew him since the past 5 years, so I gave him the benefit of doubt.

16. Hear through the grapevine
Meaning: To hear news from someone who heard that news from someone else.

Example: I heard through the grapevine that she’s pregnant.

17. Hit the nail on the head
Meaning: To do or say exactly the right thing.

Example: You’ve spotted the flaw, Robert. You’ve hit the nail on the head.

18. Hit the sack/sheets/hay
Meaning: To go to bed.

Example: I’m exhausted. I think I’ll just hit the sack.

19. Method in the madness
Meaning: A purpose in what one is doing, even though it seems to be crazy.

Example: What I’m doing might seem strange, but there is method in my madness.

20. Not a spark of decency
Meaning: A person who has no manners.

Example: Her brother has not a spark of decency. I don’t like the way he acts in public.

We hope you found these idioms useful. You can follow our social media handles for writing quotes and activities.
Instagram/Facebook:@moncoeurglobalconcept

Comments

Popular Posts